Saturday, January 2, 2010

Full Speed Ahead in 2010

CARREO by Rolando S. Luzong

Peoples Tonight (January 2, 2010)


Full Speed Ahead in 2010


The bearings are set, all engines are on the maximum, so let’s go…full speed ahead in 2010.

Predictions are the most anticipated things at the start of each year, so I’ll try to give my share.

Roderick C. Meredith, leader of the Living Church of God; Harold Camping, president of Family Radio; Ric Steiner and several other self-proclaimed prophets of doom have predicted that the world will end in 2010. I say to hell with them, because my life has just taken a turn for the better and for me the world is just beginning to bloom.


I am no Jeanne Dixon who predicted the assassination of John F. Kennedy and his brother Robert F. Kennedy. I am also not Jojo Acuin – Philippine’s most credible when it comes to predictions, but, I am Rolando S. Luzong and I think I can predict that 2010 will break all records in the annals of Philippine cockfighting. Watch out for these developments :

1) The World Slasher Cup will have more than 250 entries for the first time eclipsing the 207 entries registered in January 2009.

2) The 2010 Candelaria Derby in Jaro, Iloilo which is the 43rd staging of the annual event that is the biggest in the Vis-Min area will be posting another record in terms of entries, as well as foreign participation.

3) The National Federation of Gamefowl Breeders will have at least four new member associations.

4) Off-color roosters will make their presence felt in the 2010 World Slasher Cup.

5) A Philippine-based American breeder or American with a farm here will win a major derby.

6) Sonny Lagon will win his first World Slasher Cup.


A DAY WITH BOY DIAZ


If you’re a sabungero, you should know Boy Diaz. He’s that kung fu master-looking host of Tukaan – currently the number one sabong tele-magazine show shown every Sunday from 12:00 noon to 1:00 p.m. over IBC-13.


I had a very nice day with him last Wednesday and I was so embarrassed because the day before, as I was talking to him over the phone, he said he just came from Nueva Ecija and it was so hot there and he was not able to reply to my text because he was driving. My first reaction, bad boy me, was ‘Can you still drive?’ He said “Of course”


Yesterday, as we began negotiating the foot trail going into Kuya Boy’s farm from where we parked our vehicle, I began to feel ashamed as I slowly realized that Kuya Boy who looks not that healthy on tv and who is fighting Parkinson’s Disease can manage to go back and forth to his farm twice a week, while me, in my first visit, was already gasping hard and had to stopped several times to catch my breath.


One thing I have proven after talking to Boy Diaz for several hours is that, a viewer must not believe everything he sees on television, particularly with Boy Diaz. What you see is not what you get.


Boy D. as he is fondly called is as strong as a bull and his only problem is movement control, but like Manny Pacquiao’s trainer Freddie Roach, he is fighting back and beating the odds.

Kuya Boy, thank you for a fruitful and revealing chit-chat refreshed with fresh buko juice. And thank you for the McLean broodcock and the Lacy Roundhead hen.



HAPPY NEW YEAR to Pareng Sonny Lagon and Dong Lacson for the New Year eve calls; to Isko Martinez, Albert Uy, Edwin Mapanao & Mr. Ricardo Alba for the opportunities; to Ken Cantero for everything; to my just-married friend James Pope of Mexia, Texas, who I talked with over the phone last Christmas; to Mayor Nene Aguilar who welcome us (Fred Canumay, Willy Villaruz, Francis Ong and me) in his home with the same enthusiasm last Thursday; to Jun Martinez of Plilia Cockpit for the partnership; to Bernie Tacoy of Ormoc for his nice accommodation for me and Francis when we were in Leyte; to my good friend Princess for always being there to lend a hand or a shoulder to lean on; to Dr. Rex Iwuanyanwu for being a friend in the real sense of the word; to my family and to all the friends, as well as all the not-so-friendly who stirred me to proved that I can do better.

No comments:

Post a Comment

SABONG IS HERE TO STAY

SABONG IS HERE TO STAY
COCKFIGHTING FOREVER