Thursday, November 12, 2009

PACQUIAO AT THE BIG DOME, MY CHOICE

CARREO by Rolando S. Luzong
Peoples Tonight (November 11, 2009)

PACQUIAO AT THE BIG DOME, MY CHOICE



By now, every Filipino who is thinking of watching the Pacquiao – Cotto fight on Sunday, November 15 is weighing all options on where he will watch the much talked about match.


For this writer, since the promoters of the Pacman fights decided not to sell pay-per-views to residences anymore, I have tried probably all places watching our very own Manny – the Great beat the hell out of his last several opponents. They are so many indeed that all of us have gotten use to see the Pacman raised his hands in victory every fight’s end.


First, in our kanto with the rest of the neighbors; second in a restaurant; third at the Aliw Theatre in the CCP Complex and last time was at the Araneta Coliseum, where I probably shouted to the top of my lungs when Manny treated us to the unexpected second round demolition of Ricky Hatton.

Of the four venues, my experience in Araneta was incomparable, despite the bout not going the distance. On my way to the Big Dome that day, I thought the big screen be put in one side, probably where the dugouts are located and the audience will all be facing in one direction. I was surprise to find out that there will be four big screens facing each side of east, west, north and south.


We were, I believe, no less than 15,000 that day and the feeling was as if you are really there where the bout was being held.


While the round girls in the screen are doing their thing in during the breaks, there were actual round girls in flesh acting as round girls on stage.


The sound is so crisp that one can hear even the breathing of the boxers.

I was jumping and punching the air after Hatton was floored and it felt like I have expelled every bad whatever inside my body, because it really felt good.

There are lots of choices for everyone who doesn’t want to wait for the snail-paced, commercial-infested broadcast, but for me, I will go back to Las Vegas, I mean…Araneta Coliseum.


AMAZING SAN JUAN COLISEUM


For the first time, I had the chance to get inside and see the new San Juan Coliseum during a meeting with its owner Mr. Bong Pineda. And the first thing I uttered was, “awesome”. Well, it was really the right word for me, knowing how San Juan Coliseum was before Pineda bought it and did the incredible.

I worked at SJC during the early ‘90s and I just can’t see any piece of the old edifice or even a semblance of it anymore.

The air-conditioning is the first thing that one who had not been in the new SJC, but have been in the old SJC will notice.

Every inch of the floor is clean and you won’t see even a speck of trash. The restaurant, the coffee shop and lounge will make you forget that you’re in a cockpit, but instead is inside a 5-star hotel.

There are cameras everywhere. So many in fact that I thought they were just part of the architecture or interior design, until I was invited by top man Ariel inside the control room where there are, three or four, huge LCD screens where everything happening inside the Coliseum is well-monitored.

Even a bettor who will deny his bet after the rooster to which he bet on loses, will not be able to get away because things can be replayed and reviewed that anyone who bet can be identified including to whom he bet against with.


BAKBAKAN MOVES TO ARANETA


The first of several national eliminations of the ongoing 2009 Bakbakan 10-Stag National Derby will begin at the Araneta Coliseum on Monday, November 17 wherein qualifiers from the October 26 – elims in Makati Coliseum and from the Rizal Gamefowl Breeders Association two preliminaries plus the ones who survived the first salvo of the Bulacan Gamefowl Breeders Association will lock horns for the right to advance to the finals and closer to the P15,000,000 champion’s prize from the P30 million total guaranteed cash prize.

Good luck, may the breeder with the best roosters win…

No comments:

Post a Comment

SABONG IS HERE TO STAY

SABONG IS HERE TO STAY
COCKFIGHTING FOREVER